24 Oct [S3 E6] How Digital Has Impacted Journalism
It’s no secret that the media has changed beyond all recognition in the last ten years, with print circulations down by 50% and digital news sites struggling to turn a profit. As a result, the symbiotic relationship between journalists and public relations professionals has become even more strained.
In this episode of the Digital Download podcast I talk to veteran tech and business journalist Guy Clapperton about how digital has changed journalism and about how journalists now operate. We also talk about how PR consultants can best work with journalists in an age where maintaining a relationship is increasingly difficult.
Here’s what is discussed in this episode:
- Why paid journalism could be unsustainable due to digital
- How journalists can help battle fake news
- Why some amateur journalists can now be as good as professionals
- How the internet has significantly increased the competition among journalists
- Why the influence of the news media has changed
- How the collaborative nature of multimedia has altered in favour of marketers
- Why technical skills are now so important to PR professionals
- Why content will also trump technical perfection
- Why incremental changes are driving new behaviours, skills and thinking
- How PR professionals can best stay in touch with journalists in 2018/19
- How GDPR has adversely affected the journalist/PR relationship
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts I Android Podcast Apps I Email I RSS
What to do Next
If you enjoyed today’s show, please email it to a friend and/or share it on your favourite social media channels. You might also want to check out Digital Download Membership, which is like having an army of expert mentors to turn to who keep you updated with the latest digital and social media developments and provide feedback and opinions on your ideas.
And finally, it would also be very awesome and hugely appreciated if you’d be able to take a couple of minutes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, as this helps others discover Digital Download.