12 Sep [S3 E1] Emerging Technologies in Communications
In the opening episode of Season Three of the Digital Download podcast, we take a look at some of the emerging technologies that digital communications professionals need to start paying attention to. Using Gartner’s Hype Cycle as a reference point, communications technology expert Neville Hobson and I discuss what’s predicted to hit the mainstream within the next two to three years. Through the lens of public relations and marketing communications, we analyse the impact that these might have and what we should be doing now to prepare ourselves for what’s around the corner.
Here’s what is discussed in this episode:
- What’s changed in the world of podcasting since 2005
- What is the Gartner Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies
- Why it’s important to pay attention to the Hype Cycle
- What are the technologies that will ‘blur the line between human and machine’
- What ‘augmented intelligence’ is and how it will benefit us as communicators
- Why artificial intelligence could be invaluable to the communications profession
- What the communicator’s role in technological development is
- What impact emerging technologies such as virtual assistants will soon have on our day-to-day working lives
- When machines will equal and surpass human intelligence
- Why audio marketing is an important trend
- Why technology-enabled fake news is a serious threat to communicators
- Why curiosity is so vital
- How you can track emerging technologies while doing your day job
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts I Android Podcast Apps I Email I RSS
Useful Links from Today’s Show
- 2018 Gartner Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies
- BMW Launches Personal Voice Assistant for its Cars from TechCrunch
- The New Sony AIBO A.I. Dog Is Your New Best Friend
- Fake Obama created using AI video tool from BBC News
What to do Next
If you enjoyed today’s show, please email it to a friend and/or share it on your favourite social media channels. You might also want to check out Digital Download Membership, which is like having an army of expert mentors to turn to who keep you updated with the latest digital and social media developments and provide feedback and opinions on your ideas.
And finally, it would also be very awesome and hugely appreciated if you’d be able to take a couple of minutes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, as this helps others discover Digital Download.
Thanks for listening!