29 May [S2 E4] Why Inbound Could Finally Prove the ROI of PR
Public relations has had issues with measuring return on investment for, arguably, the entirety of its life. Competitive disciplines such as digital marketing, advertising and SEO have mopped up business for little other reason than PR has struggled to prove its worth. A new methodology, however, promises to guide PR professionals towards a process that demonstrates its value once and for all.
In this episode of the Digital Download podcast I talk to Iliyana Stareva, Global Partner Program Manager at HubSpot, whose book ‘Inbound PR’ presents a methodology for public relations that moves the conversation firmly away from being one about reputation management to being one about the bottom line. Inbound PR looks to firmly establish PR as a management discipline, something that CIPR President Sarah Hall pushed heavily on S1 E2 of this very podcast.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
- What is inbound marketing
- What inbound marketing does really well
- The role of content in inbound marketing
- How public relations can impact the inbound marketing process in a positive manner
- How inbound PR differs from inbound marketing
- What to adapt an inbound PR methodology
- Why PR entrepreneurs are driving the adoption of attention to revenue in public relations
- Why business results and reporting are so important to agencies in 2018
- What the right things to measure are
- Whether reputation management is an excuse for not measuring business impact
- How you go about adopting an inbound PR model
- What’s involved in jumping from a traditional PR model to the inbound model
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts I Android Podcast Apps I Email I RSS
Useful Links from Today’s Show
- Inbound PR from amazon.co.uk
- 2018 PRCA Census
- Ilyana Stareva blog
- The 4R model of evaluation from paulsutton.co
What to do Next
If you enjoyed today’s show, please email it to a friend and/or share it on your favourite social media channels. You might also want to check out Digital Download Membership, which is like having an army of expert mentors to turn to who keep you updated with the latest digital and social media developments and provide feedback and opinions on your ideas.
And finally, it would also be very awesome and hugely appreciated if you’d be able to take a couple of minutes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, as this helps others discover Digital Download.
Thanks for listening!