27 Feb [S1 E8] The Impact of Digital on Internal Communications
Internal communications is an area of public relations that often gets missed when digital technology is discussed, largely because the likes of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are all external-facing. But innovation in IC is arguably greater than outward-facing communications channels, with the likes of Office 365, Facebook Workplace, Yammer and Slack providing internal communicators with a plethora of platforms to choose from.
In this episode of the Digital Download podcast, I talk to Rachel Miller, founder of All Things IC, about how digital technology is impacting internal communications strategy, the opportunities digital tools provide and the challenges they present.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
- How internal communications has evolved in the last five years
- How shadow comms has risen to fill the gaps where organisations have failed to adopt digital
- What the impact of GDPR is on internal communications
- How digital can bridge the gap between external perceptions and the reality of internal culture
- Why giving employees a voice is so valuable to an organisation
- Why Office 365 is having such a big impact on effective internal communications
- Why a great intranet is central to a great internal communications strategy
- What the role of content is in internal digital communications
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts I Android Podcast Apps I Email I RSS
Useful Links from Today’s Show
- The Big Yak 2018 unconference
- The Gatehouse State of the Sector census
- How Bristol Water is Preparing for GDPR from AllThingsIC
- How the Post Office Encourages Leadership Comms from AllThingsIC
- #lifeatloreal hashtag on Twitter
What to do Next
If you enjoyed today’s show, please email it to a friend and/or share it on your favourite social media channels. You might also want to check out Digital Download Membership, which is like having an army of expert mentors to turn to who keep you updated with the latest digital and social media developments and provide feedback and opinions on your ideas.
And finally, it would also be very awesome and hugely appreciated if you’d be able to take a couple of minutes to leave an honest review and rating for the podcast on iTunes, as this helps others discover Digital Download.
Thanks for listening!